Sunday, January 13, 2008

Easy Like Sunday Morning…

(find picture here)

It's a new year: bring on the new Church schedule!! I am so excited to be on the 11:30 schedule instead of the 9:00 am (I am not a morning person). However, I have been really stressing about being on time to Church because I have this horrible habit of being excessively late to everything, and 11:30 isn't asking much, is it? No. But of course this morning was crazy, with much too much running around, crying, and throwing of things. Hmmm, aren't Sundays supposed to peaceful? And by the time I got to Church, I was visibly frustrated and frazzled—not how I want to feel or how I want my Sundays to roll. So in my never-ending quest to achieve Sunday Zen, I sat down to read the Ensign and came upon an article which stated:


"Our Sunday worship and instruction time should not simply leave us with an even longer checklist of things to do. While we know that "faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone" (James 2:17), we should also recognize that works without faith are equally sterile. Perhaps we might do less rushing around on Sundays with bulging briefcases, assignment lists, and schedules. Perhaps we could spend more time just sitting, in a sense of perfect stillness, with open scriptures and open hearts."

("Overcoming feelings of Inadequacy" by Elder David S. Baxter—this is a great article, by the way)

I'm thinking this is an answer to my unspoken prayer. What a wonderful image: Sitting in perfect stillness. With open scriptures and open heart. And while the chances of this happening are slim (with children it is darn near impossible), the point is I am striving for it. This is the Zen-like Sunday I was looking for.

Rah cha cha!!! (with Jazz hands!)


Just trying to spread more love, people… :)

12 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

i'm so with you. sunday mornings are crazy. mason didn't stop whining to watch mickey mouse all morning. how do you explain to a 1 year old that we don't watch mickey on sunday? way to find the answer, woman. it's always out there, isn't it?

Jan said...

Great thoughts, Kristi. I like your vision of the perfect Sunday -- but my fear is that as long as we're on this middle schedule, it will never happen in Primary again! Sigh.

Jori said...

Thanks Kristi! Sunday mornings are hard. I feel busy trying to get myself and 1 child ready. I don't know how you guys with more do it. I think getting into the right frame of mind is such a good idea. My father in law is a Patriarch and every Sunday morning they play Mo-Tab tunes it get's him in the right frame of mind for church and to give blessings.

tara said...

It's so hard....I know. I wish Sundays could be stress-free and peaceful. Zen-like:)
Turns out I like a slighty more serious Kristi every bit as much as crazy kristi:) I just like you:)

Mia said...

We just switched to the 9am schedule and we live at least a half hour from the building. Which adds to the rush and the stress, but when we have things planned out the night before (only happens once in a blue moon)things go so much smoother. I love your idea of a Sunday zen. I think that we should all try to strive for it, even if it doesn't truly happen for a couple more years with the kiddos.

Darleen said...

I'm shameful to say that I prepare the night before and still can't make it on time for our 9 a.m. church. Oh, I try so hard but don't know what's my problem is. My goal this year is try to get there at least 5 minutes better than I have. Baby steps, baby steps.

Melissa said...

We have the 9am it's so hard to get there on time, unless one of us is giving a talk. I promise I put out everyone's clothes,or make sure they are ready because" Saturday we get ready for Sunday" and even still. It is so hard for toddlers, and on Sunday's Nathanael is already on weekend mode, slowly eating breakfast.

Seriously though, I loved the being still with the scriptures.
Thanks Kristi!

Heather said...

What? Your Sunday mornings aren't total bliss, Hmmmm what's wrong with you. JUST kidding. Last week, Hannah said "wow Mom you were nice this morning". Nice. She was amazed.

skbkmjfamily said...

I so needed this. Thanks for the awesome quote.

One day it will be too quite I just keep thinking.

Emily John said...

I think Satan strives to make Sundays hectic, cause I'll admit I've given up going a few times. But when you go the Spirit makes the rest of the week so much better.

hoLLy said...

i don't know what all you peoples problems are. its not hard to be on time to church, to have your childrens hair done perfectly while they sit listening with their arms folded for three hours without making a sound, while a golden halo slowly appears over each of their little heads.

:)

Mel said...

I'm SO not a morning person either. My church time at my old apartment was 9am..so wrong!! I think the 9am time just might be against my religion.