You know that when you are posting about something for the second time, you have issues.So, I was home this morning helping Brinley in the bathroom (because she is having some unpleasant issues with #2--why am I always talking about poop on my blog? I'm over it, dude), and someone knocks on the door. And I had this moment where my heart murmured (or skipped a beat or something equally dramatic). My whole world was suddenly in slow-mo as I scanned the pure disaster that was my living room/kitchen/bathroom/etc, etc. I literally stood there frozen in place. I did NOT want to answer the door, but I had to. CRAP-pity crap! So, I opened the door and my friend came in and I felt my heart murmur again. Now I adore this girl and she would never judge, but her house is sterile. Like you could perform an emergency appendectomy (or something similar) on her kitchen counters because she is that on top of things. Oy Vey! Here she stood in all my pig-sty glory. Of course, I haven't cleaned my bathrooms in forever, and her daughter uses the bathroom and you can imagine how embarrassed I was. Or not, if you are clean. I mean, that is not asking too much to be able to use a clean bathroom at a friend's house, is it? No, it's not. Do you ever have those moments where something is so beyond your control that you just let yourself be embarrassed and there's nothing you can do? I didn't even pretend like I just happened to be cleaning up when she walked in, you know, like "Oh, yeah, I'm just cleaning up…because that's what I do…clean…"
So, I'm turning over a new leaf. I cannot keep posting about messy houses when people come over!! Every night I will be cleaning up—NO matter what. Good grief! I know I am not a clean freak, and frankly, that's not what I'm going for, but when you are finding old diapers on the floor as if that is where they belong, then clean freak status is clearly not an issue.
12 comments:
I hear ya, but sometimes it is frustrating to clean only to have little ones behind you tearing it apart. The other day the UPS guy came and I really debated not even opening my door. I am waiting for the day my VTs come for surprise visit and see how the home usually looks.
oh man. I think must of us can feel your pain. I keep my vacuum sitting the hall quite often...plugged in and everything so as to give the appearance of cleaning. seriously. I'm usually sitting at my computer in my g's when the doorbell rings. I FLY into my bedroom and have Will answer the door. I hate that panic.
Um, yeah....so I'm the clean freak that would faint at your mess...hee hee. I wish. My house is always a mess.Diapers strewn about and clothes/toys dishes EVERYWHERE! And have you noticed that it's always when your house is a mess someone stops by? Why can't they come after you've been cleaning? I found a perfect welcome mat that I'm going to buy. It says " The house was clean a week ago, sorry you missed it"
Post a picture on your blog. I want to see your mess. Because all of you who complain about messy houses, I highly doubt there is an actual mess.
i hate drop-ins! not unlike the phone, that always goes unanswered around here, i never answer my door. just because you can call (or knock) doesn't mean i have to answer!
Natalie learned that attitude from me. I feel the same way -- I don't have to answer the phone and/or the door unless I feel like it. And usually I only feel like it when I know who it is -- God bless Caller ID -- now I need super peeper-scope or something for the doors. (I do not have a peephole and I wish I did!)
My front door is way too open so there is no pretending I'm not home-especially with Hayden there yelling "somebody is at the door" at the top of his lungs. Oh I have been there though where you just don't want to answer the door-too messy! It's no fun cleaning when it's a mess again in 5 minutes. Your kids will get a little older and you'll have some helpers. Plus, they won't want to mess up what they will have to pick up :) It's a beautiful thing.
Kristi, I could so easily just copy your blog and paste it into mine, and it would be totally true. I'm thinking since so many of us frequently have the hurricane-hit look, we should turn it into something cool. You know, Like "our-home-has-just-been-robbed-chic". Wrecked Up is the new Clean!
Oh girl, I know what you mean. Things are definitely messy at my house these days. You know it's bad when Michael says, "Um, Kasey do you want me to do the laundry?" What you mean like I have to wash clothes more than once a month?? Geez!
I hear you loud and clear about housekeeping!! That's why I heart my kids at this age (8 and 10) because they've taken over house chores. My very own house elves, but better dressed.;0)
Oh man, if I really posted a picture of my house, you would no longer want to speak to me...I'm not kidding either.
i hate drop-ins, not because my house is a wreck, but i usually am. no makeup - totally hideous! yes, i even wear makeup to the gym when i go. it is to overcompensate for the nice over-sized body that i am so blessed to have :)
Post a Comment