Man, why is it so hard for me to write about serious stuff? Store that under things to speak to my therapist about…
I was thinking about President Faust today. I admired him tremendously because he was so humble. I mean, all of the Apostles are humble, of course, but this man radiated humility and his heart was always on his sleeve when it came to the gospel, what with his sweet tears always close to the surface as he spoke.
Now I have never seen or met President Faust in person, but my thoughts led me to a memory I have of President Hinckley. I was meandering on BYU campus, running a tad late to good ol' FSN 100 (a very unusual occurrence). I noticed about 100-ish students hanging around a stage in front of the Wilkinson Building. "What's 10 minutes late to class, when you're already 5 late?" was my logical thought process, so I sauntered casually over to the back of the crowd. Without warning, I hear all the students next to me start singing, "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet," and, of course, the spirit hits me instantly and I am in tears, singing along with them as I watch the Prophet and his wife walk onto the make-shift stage in the middle of campus. President Hinckley was there to speak and dedicate the Wilkinson Center (as it had just had a ton of construction done) and there I was late to class with no idea I was to see the Prophet that day (see, being late is GOOD! I mean really, is the Professor going to be mad when you stopped to hear the Prophet speak…not likely). He spoke & dedicated the building and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

I remember as I walked to class, afterwards, feeling the full weight of my college experience hit me. Only then did I begin to appreciate what a blessing going to college had been for me. I met my husband, discovered my love of all things English, and saw the Prophet speak from mere feet away from me. I mean, it rocked. I remember the spirit waking me up from my complaisance and saying, "You need to appreciate these blessings because that's what they are." Well, not exactly like that…it was more eloquent…
Anyway, I truly feel blessed to have had this experience. I am so grateful for the Prophet and the Apostles on the Earth and I appreciate the magnitude of their callings. . .
...expect something ridiculous shortly...
8 comments:
That is such a great story. I remember at youth conference one year we went to The Martin Harris pageant. Everyone stood up and started singing We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet and Ezra Taft Benson walked in to watch the pageant. You are right, they carry an incredible spirit with them.
How amazing! I felt the spirit just reading your post!!!
what an awesome expierence. thank you for sharing. oh side note. i think sometimes dismiss being funny, upbeat, able to find the good in all things, and not realize that is one of our Saviors traits. Your blog reminds me of this. we are to be a joyful people, and you have taught me that.
Those kinds of experiences are so inspiring. I have been thinking a lot about Hunter and all my kids going away to school and that really makes me think...go BYU!! What a cool place.
Kristi, do you great at serious! Seriously. What a great experience. BYU rocks!
what a great story! i just adore president hinckley. seriously, is there a more loveable man on the planet? he's so fantastic.
I remember being in Dallas about eight years ago, President Hinckley and his wife spoke at a very large fireside. They are so spiritual and very entertaining. I will always remember his wife saying, "He is a prophet, but still a man he throws his socks all over my floor." The both have/had the best sense of humor.
wow. would you believe that I like "serious" kristi just as much as the "crazy" Krisiti? Thanks for sharing that experience. We are so lucky to have living prophet.
Post a Comment