Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th


Prepare yourself for the sensitive Kristi--you've been warned...

Melissa & Jori reminded me of September 11th and how grateful I am for my family and friends—how grateful I am for their safety.

I remember this day so clearly (as I'm sure most of us do). I was walking through the Wilkinson Center, picking up my daily Einstein bagel when I noticed a bunch of students standing around a television. I was in a hurry to class, but decided to stop and see what was going on. Each of us just stood there in a daze, and I remember thinking, "Is this for real?"

When I arrived at my class, everyone was furious. One guy completely lost it and was cursing the attackers and was ready to bomb whoever it was that attacked the United States. Our Professor was very calm and told us his Dad had been a prisoner of War long ago, and he himself had served in the Vietnam War. He very warmly (but kindly) disagreed with this student, as he knew what war could do to a family. He completely traumatized me. I had never known war. I couldn't even wrap my head around what had just happened to the poor people, let alone what the future would bring of it. Everyone left class shortly thereafter and I remember driving home terrified & crying, afraid that we were entering the Third World War and praying Nolan was too old to be drafted…I being just a touch irrational, one might say.


The rest of that week, Nolan and I slept in our living room on our couches with CNN on literally 24 hours a day…it was strange because I HATE the news, but for some reason having constant news updates comforted me. I think the silence ultimately scared me more than any breaking news of the attacks or the attackers—if that makes any sense. I also remember calling our families to make sure they were ok. My mom told me something about my Grandma being afraid of something or other attacking Pocatello, ID and I thought "Pocatello is probably not a terrorist hotspot," but when you're afraid, you're afraid.


Anyway, I'm sorry to go on and on and on (oversharing issues are rearing their ugly head), but I realized today I have never written that experience down and it seems like one I will want to remember in the future so I can tell my kids.


I am so grateful to live in the United States where I am free and for those who protect it.

10 comments:

Lupe said...

I'm grateful as well. My heart goes out to all of the families of 9/11.

Heather said...

I'm so grateful for the freedoms we enjoy in the good USA too. Hunter had just gotten on the school bus-he was in kindergarten. I'll always remember that too.

Holly O. said...

First off, how old are you??? You were still in college? Second, you are right, we'll all remember our experience from that day differently. And now I want to write my experience down for my kids!

Darleen said...

Where's the Wilkenson Center again--what college? I was at school too (eating a bagel) studying for an exam (actually heading to the exam) when I found out about the planes and towers. I still can't believe it. I'm just wondering if we were at the same place when it happened.

Kristi said...

Where did you go to school, Darleen? The Wilkinson Center is at BYU. That would be crazy if we were at the same place...

tara said...

Wow. You are youngin Krisit. That day was will's first day of pre-school and Grace was 10 months old. I remember very specific things too. It changed all of us I think. thank you for your thoughts today:)

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing...I find it fascinating to read what people thought and felt on that day.

hoLLy said...

I agree. That day was just so crazy and its interesting to read other people's experiences and what they were doing when it all happened. Thanks for sharing your story. We will never forget that day.

Darleen said...

I went to the University of Utah...with Natalie actually. I couldn't remember if the Wilkenson Center was at the U or the Y.

Hayley said...

yeah. i was teaching & it was my first year. i heard about it on my way to school. i'd never heard of osama bin laden at that point. strange, i know. i had to turn off the tv and teach. i remember that was a very hard morning for me!