Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Books to Read

I just finished The Ladie's Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis and it was a really interesting book. I wanted to mention it simply because of the way she portrays a tight-knit community and how it handles newcomers/outsiders. The book is based on a community of Orthodox Jews (which I knew very little about) in Memphis, TN, and I enjoyed learning about a different religion and its beliefs and traditions. It helps me realize, dude, there are others who are intense about their religion and it's not LDS. I could definitely make some comparisons based on the LDS community and Orthodox Jews (as shown by the book), but I leave that to you if you're interested in reading it.


Lately, I have been thinking a lot about Eleni by Nicholas Gage. Maybe because Mother's Day just came and went, but I really wanted to recommend this. If you want a book to help you appreciate your mother, or any mother, then read this book. It's a true story about Nicholas Gage's mother and his upbringing in Greece during the Civil War. It's emotionally brutal to get through, but it will change you. It's incredible.



Last, but not least, I wanted to recommend Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. Love this book! A lot of people have already read it, but just in case you haven't--please do! This book is da bomb. ;) Actually, I really like all of Jane Austen's books...



The next book up is When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka. I don't know one thing about it, but hopefully it will be good...

10 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

thank you, thank you. i'll add eleni to my list. also, i should get off my biscuit and read p&p already! sense & sensibility is one of my absolute faves - how have i not read p&p? sinner! i'm glad you read the ladies' auxillary, so we can discuss! i loved it. the story was only sort of ho-hum, but the context was so fascinating!

Jori said...

I am currently reading Ladies Auxillary. Thanks for the other book picks. I am so excited to try them. I love p&p. Have you read Emma? I love it!

Hayley said...

Kristi, I read When the Emperor was Divine. It was a short book, and I wished there was more. But interesting. I've read a couple of other Asian World War II books that I liked better, not necessarily Japanese though. I know - there is a difference. And Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites, definitely fav Jane Austen. good choices. I'll have to check out Ladies Auxillary.

Hayley said...

natalie - when you say sinner, do you say it in the homo voice that chris farley did? i hope so. ;)

100 Percent Cottam said...

of course i did, hayley! ;) kristi, can i borrow some ray? i've been dying to check him out for a while now...and the sample from your blog is making me want more! :)

Kristi said...

Natalie, that's what all the girls say...

Kristi said...

j/k Sure, girl. I'm glad you like him! He's kind of got a 1970's feel to me...

Kristi said...

Yay Hayley, I'm glad you liked Emperor, and P&P of course...Natlie, hope on the P&P bandwagon, why dontcha? :)

Heather said...

I love a good book, thanks for the recommendations.

Anonymous said...

algorithms cartoons unit temporarily necessarily perforation cool assume respondents infant including
lolikneri havaqatsu