
Beware!!! Horrifically long post...
Nolan and I were talking today about the kinds of extracurricular activities we want our kids involved in the future. It got me thinking about how many wonderful opportunities there can be for them, if we will but open the doors. Music, dance, sports, etc.
But especially sports, because we are crappy total athletes ourselves and expect little a whole heck of a lot from our children in all things sports.
When Brinley turned three, I couldn't wait to get her into soccer. I had high hopes knowing her soccer skills would be wicked good (a reflection of her mother, no doubt). But the girl could not be less confrontational on the field (or in life) if she tried--a more accurate reflection of her mother. Poor thing. We would dress her up in her soccer uniform, bows and all, and let her cry her eyes out at all the games. We would shove gently prod her onto the field and she'd cry some more. We would lovingly yell encourage, "Just rub some dirt in it," which I'm sure was extremely comforting in her time of need.I can pretty much scratch debate or drama off her list of clubs to join in the future as well, since Nolan has given every talk in Primary assigned to her. Although I will say this: he is an excellent speaker. My heart beams with pride each time he holds up his little pictures and reads off the page.
However, dancing really has turned out to be her thing (I annoyingly keep bringing this up). Hallelujah for her! Which secretly pleases me as I took dance my whole life and loved it! I'm hoping piano (or some other musical instrument—minus the tuba, for obvious reasons) will be her thing as well. Especially since Winnie has the skills to teach her granddaughter some serious Mozart or Beethoven…that's not expecting too much, right?
I do have a point to this.
Braden, on the other hand, is super wild enjoys active participation. He is always yelling, "Do it, Cars, cwash!" and then proceeds to wildly hurl Lightning McQueen in the air at anything. He's always shooting hoops and kicking people soccer balls. He loves to throw things. In fact, when he is done drinking out of his sippy cup, he throws it straight into the air…for no reason. None. Other than maybe hoping it might hit an innocent bystander on the way down. I find this very irritating precocious.
I'm thinking activities with confrontation might be his thing, no? I am definitely excited to put him in soccer next year. It is just too funny to watch these 3 year olds running around crying playing. I think he will LOVE it. He asks to play "sock-it" daily (which translates to "soccer" in 2 year old gibberish). However, he will also try his hand at piano or rock climbing or dance or chess team whatever else he's interested in…
I finally have a point and it's this: I just want my kids involved in something as they grow up. Anything (excepting illegal activities, of course). I'm thankful when inspiration comes like,"Pick something else. This isn't working," and not forcing things on my kids unnecessarily. Ultimately, I just want them to figure out what they love and go for it. It's exciting to watch your kids grow and figure out what they love and what interests them.
And please, oh please, keep me far away from those psychos parents on the sidelines yelling, "That stupid Ref! Never say die! Get out there! You're being lazy!" Holy Hannah. Those kinds of people scare the crap out of me. (Or yell, "Rub dirt in it!" Who are these people? :)
10 comments:
Your song is making me laugh out loud today. Oh my gosh!!! Now I have to go back and read the post. I noticed crossed out words, already I am amused.
You didn't disappoint today. Not only was your post hilarous, it was also very insightful. I have a feeling my boy is following in Braden's footsteps. He likes to chuck things for no good reason too. And hit. And kick. Ahh, boys.
yeah, how did you do the crossed out words? tricky tricky. and - long posts are good. holly is right, insight is good. i think its swell of you to understand that they might not do exactly what you'd want them to do, but as long as they're active & happy, it is good for them. and - let braden try lacrosse. that's a confrontational sport!
okay...totally funny post. Pretty snazzy with the whole fake-out crossed out word trick. Love it. Thanks for checkin out my blog, and if you don't mind I'm going to keep taking a peek at yours. You're a riot.
tara
Kristi,
you have a real talent for writing, I always knew you had a great sense of humor and it shows in your writing. I think Braden will be great at soccer and I'm glad Brinley likes dance. I have also witnessed the great job Nolan does giving his primary talks. mom
Very funny post! you should be writing for SNL.
You are so funny. You entertain me more than my friends and family blogs I read. (Shhh...) What they don't know won't hurt them, mind if I put your link on my blog?
good stuff, as always. i think i stress out too much about what my kids will want to do and/or be good at. poor mason - chris has his career as a football player all mapped out. and he wants maya to play tennis, because "that's where the money's at." nice.
You crack me up, I loved the whole crossed out words thing. Too, funny. Braden and Hayden could be kindred spirits!
Aren't boys fun? :) Thanks for the nice comments. I love bloggers and reading your blogs. So, I used Microsoft Word to cross out the words...and then I pulled a rabbit out of my hat... :)
Post a Comment