Saturday, June 30, 2007

North and South

Man, no one knows quite like the Brits how to write about repressed and unrequited love. Goodness.

I just finished North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and I actually really enjoyed it (I like period dramas).


The book tends to be a little Dickens-y (I guess he edited it, so maybe that's why) but she writes a mean love story once you get past the extra. So, if you're in the mood, I would definitely recommend it. I've heard the BBC mini-series version is good, so I'm going to have to check it out as well.


4 comments:

Jori said...

I have always wanted to read North and South. I will have to get to it soon. Glad you liked it!

Heather said...

Interesting...I've never read that, but isn't that by Elizabeth Gaskell? I read Mary Barton for book club, I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. Maybe I'll watch the PBS special instead.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i'm about to read one of her books, aren't i? it's for book club, can't remember which one it is right now. wives and daughters? i'm excited to check it. i'll add this to my list of heavy stuff.

Anonymous said...

Books that you are reading should say Spanish only.