Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Good News

I have some good news: Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

We moved to Austin about 4 ½ years ago, leaving behind our landlord affectionately named "the dude who lives upstairs," our dingy homey basement apartment, and my two incomplete Spanish Courses...I am two, TWO, classes short of a Bachelor's Degree in English from BYU. What in the world is that about? Why, in 4 ½ years, have I not completed these two courses only? Pure fear laziness fear. In all seriousness, I am terrified of taking Spanish. That's one of my little secrets…


But, officially, I am a college student once again. A very old one, mind you, but student nonetheless.


I am now working on my 1st Spanish Course and I have decided to work my booty off diligently to get this course completed. I have to graduate from college! With only two classes left, it just makes me feel so stupid and sick that I haven't been working on it. It's just stupid of me…


But, oh well. I'm working on it now, and dude, I can't wait to go to the Co-op and get my University sweatshirt and party on 6th street study each weekend…with my husband and my kids. I'm actually really, really excited. I'm hoping to walk the walk by next spring!!! That's the goal anyway. J


I LOVED studying English. I feel so grateful I was able to figure out (after several changes) that English was what I really loved and wanted to study.


So, in honor of my approaching Bachelor's degree, I would like to post an original piece of poetry I wrote recently. What I love about poetry is how you really have to delve into each layer to get to the true meaning. Poetry can really expose the author's deepest thoughts and feelings. I'm finding it very intimidating to share this side of me with all of you, but here goes:

What We Deal with as Adults
By Kristi Wright

Oh, Adult Acne
Why do you love me?
Can you not see
I've already been through puberty?

Oh, Adult Acne
I try to get you undercover
Let's get real here:
I'm old enough to be your mother.

Oh, Adult Acne
It's painful but it's true
You just don't like me
And I really, truly despise you.

Do you want to know the crazy thing? That only took me about one minute to write. AND it rhymed…that's not an easy thing to accomplish in poetry. TRUST ME!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris, I have several Odes to Adult Acne as well. I don't understand why I am 29 and I still get it. I've always said that when I get to heaven, or hell, which ever it may be, I'm gonna have a talk with the big guy. I have a few questions. #1, why am I 29 and I have enough gray hair to make a wig for a very deserving grandmother? #2, Why visiting teaching? Is it really necessary? #3, Do I really need adult acne. Honestly, isn't my fat a enough embarrassment? Enough complaining. I'm so excited for your schooling. Good luck. You'll do great. Maybe you can be a High School Spanish Teacher. That'd be fun.

Ashley said...

That is awesome. I admire anyone who goes back to school. It will be rewarding and a refreshing break from everyday life. Have fun!

Jori said...

Good job finishing school. My mom is 55 and she is a jr. at University of Utah. I almost have a marketing degree but still havne't finished. Sheesh, I am such a bum. I flunked math and feel like I can never pass it. Ryan is a Civil Engineer and is a math wiz, he guarantee's he will get me through it. SO we shall see. I am too lazy to tackle it right now,but some time soon. Loved your poem, you really should be published. :)

Hayley said...

yeah kristi... i'm proud of you for going back! its just 2 courses! you'll have it done in no time!!! and - i love that death cab song!!! good choice!!!

Hayley said...

(i'm such an idiot) i also meant to say that i love that poem. it's like my theme poem... what the heck is with adult acne? i didn't have it as a youth. now, i'm cursed!!!

Holly O. said...

You crack me up, it never ceases to amaze me! Good for you on finishing school. That is great. And you are really showing off with that poem!

Emily John said...

Love the poem. I wish I had the guts to go back to school, but I'm pretty much a chicken. So awesome that you are. Is there a cure for adult acne? I could use it!

100 Percent Cottam said...

you are such a freakin' nut. your poetry brings me to tears. i'm happy you're taking the classes! you'll get through it, and you'll be so happy to be a college graduate. even if it means you're a lifelong cougar. we can still be friends.

Jan said...

Oh, Kristi -- you CAN DO IT!! I'm one of those who waited way too long to finsish -- but I went back to school in Vegas and graduated from UNLV in May of 2004, right before we moved here. All I had needed to do was student teach and I just let it go -- but when I went back, I did a different major just so that I could learn something new -- and learn I did. You can do it and you'll do well! YAY FOR YOU!!

Kristi said...

Thanks for the encouragement! You guys are awesome!

Heather said...

Good for you! That is great about you taking the 2 classes. Way to go. Oh and the poem is classic. I never had a zit in my teen years (well hardly anyway) but I have more than made up for it. Not good. At least as a teenager it is expected, not an adult!