I finally got my booty off the computer this morning and headed over to the gym today. I am so glad I did because they finally set up the TV's in front of the treadmill, so when I ran the time flew by even faster than normal! You gotta love that. I hate when you're on a cardio machine and checking the time. Every. 30. Seconds. Not fun.Anyway, so, random thought, but I like to smile at people. It's always nice to see someone smile at you, right? I like to wink, too, but that's not relevant.
I have noticed my ability to smile at people at the gym has completely disappeared. I don't look anyone in the eye or smile—nothing. Why is that, I was thinking today? So, I decided to change my ways. I smiled at this person and that person—girls/boys, you name it (and a extra big cheesy one for the cute trainer accepting my gym pass, while my kids were running around screaming, thank you very much). I mean, I see these people that work here every day. And it's not like I want to be BFF with them or anything, but I still think its weird that there's no smiling involved. But today was a new day. Come on, people, let's be friends.
When I first arrived, I made my way through the weight room, strolling towards this one trainer I see all the time. So, you guessed it…I smiled at him. Surprisingly, he looked me right in the eye, and (instead of pretending I was smiling at the person behind you, silly) I just kept staring and smiling…and…time...seemed...to…drag…and by this point my face was frozen in place because it had passed "friendly" and entered "socially awkward." I'm thinking "Dude, stop staring," (which is funny because I was the one who started it) and he gave me the weirdest look, like I was checking him out. And that's when it hit me.
You can't smile or say hi or be normal at the gym because if you look someone in the eye or smile at them, they think you're checking them out and all, "Hey, what are you doing later tonight?"
Please.
Unfortunately, as I made my way through the gym for the rest of the day, upstairs and downstairs, the trainer dude was sure to be found, glancing at me hesitatingly like I was about to ask him for his number. Get real, dude. I'm sure he thought I was stalking him because of the huge crush I don't have on him.
And then I look down, and realized I wasn't wearing my wedding ring.
Note to 24 Hour Fitness Trainer: If I was checking you out, you would have known it because I would have busted out with some sweet dance moves on the weight room floor, ok? Just so we're clear here.
Also, I really like Naomi's idea of approching him with, "Hey, I've been looking for you everywhere." That would be so awesome. He would not be scared of me at all. Good times.
14 comments:
hee hee, that is hilarious. you know you're out there working it. i'm sure it was the winking that got him. hey baby!
That happened to me on the way home from Utah. Some guy was sitting out in front of a gas station with two black pugs. I gave him a huge grin and kind of arched my eyebrows at him. I meant it as "hey guy, cute dogs" he kind of smiled creepy like at me-seriously why is it SO hard to be friendly?
That one had me laughing out loud Kris. Who cares what he thinks. You should now go out of your way to make him uncomfortable. When you walk by say things like, Oh there you are. I was looking all over for you. Wow, you look nice today. I think your biceps have grown, etc. I think that is great.
He probably doesn't want to take on a cute girl with 2 kids! hahaha!!
ps - love love love iron & wine. great pick.
hehe! thats a pretty funny story. i started singing the song from bridge to terabithia when you were talking about smiling and be friends and whatnot..."why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends" just finished watching it so its fresh in my mind. anyway, loved the picture too of the fat lady. hahaha!
That is so funny. I'm sure he was checking you out..."hmmmm she's cute". Anyway, keep on smiling, it's good for people.
At least it was a trainer, I had some nasty old construction workers pass me in my MINI-VAN the other day and totally check me out. Oh baby, I was feeling real hot! :p
that's great. kristi - i love your stories. and wear your ring!
So funny I'm trying not to laugh out loud cause my kiddos are sleeping. But I agree you can't even make eye contact at the gym or someone thinks your checking them out, but if you think that's bad try my gym I get to use the gym at USU for free and if you glance at a guy they start strutting. I hate this gym cause I feel old and fat. I work my butt off on the eliptical for 45 mins and I'm still 20 lbs over weight and these 20 year-old gilrs make it about 15 mins and are tooth pick thin! I'm always thinking to myself "wait until you have two kids, then we'll see whos thin. Man I hate the gym!
kristi...I'm not trying to be rude, but will you PLEASE take down that picture of me. I'm sorta self conscious. thanks.
You guys crack me up!
Tara, you are hilarious! That is NOT you (I know this because it is actually me!)
IT is so funny! Everyone has akward moments like this. ( hmm..like me not knowing how to spell akward) The only people I am friendly with are the people in the kidcare section. Gotta suck up to ones watching your kids!!
Post a Comment